Sunday, May 13, 2007

a ROCKIN' good time at the very eclectic DUCKY WADDLES in sunny Encinitas, CA

artist Scrojo with Sterling Moss LP, found at Lou's Records next door (above)
Jerry Waddle, esteemed proprietor of DUCKY WADDLE'S in Encinitas, CA (above)
trifecta!! (actually, 3/5's of the Grushkin bookshelf), held here by collector Bob White, who came down to say hi (above)
-
Well I had one hella nice time down in Encinitas, CA yesterday. My kinda town, about 20 miles north of San Diego / La Jolla / Cardiff-by-the-Sea, fulla sun, surf, ocean bluffs, and one of those great eclectic bookstores -- DUCKY WADDLE'S -- where I was invited to autograph ROCKIN' over several hours.
-
Plus, I got to hang with Scrojo, the artist who did the front and back covers for ART OF MODERN ROCK, which I co-authored with Dennis King. Scrojo took me out to lunch down the street at a funky Mexican joint which has the kinda low-brow food I love. You can see many hundreds of Scrojo's event posters at www.gigposters.com and at www.Scrojo.com. Some of you also may know he's been a key artist for the top surf and skateboard companies, among much, much else. He hopes to begin work on movie posters next.
-
Many people now avidly collect the work of Shepard Fairey, famous as creator of the "Obey" campaign. DUCKY WADDLE'S has been one of the key outlets for Fairey's artwork over many years. Jerry Waddle, the proprietor, then gifted me with one of those new Fairey-created custom '60s VW Microbus's produced by Hot Wheels. Way kool!!!
-
Encinitas reminded me of Santa Cruz, just south of the Bay Area, also on the coast. There I spent at least a thousand hours during my college years, out at "Stony Beach," trottin' around on the bluffs, and sitting in Neptune's chamber, way out to sea below one of those bluffs. And afterwards there always was Bookshop Santa Cruz where I discovered author / historian / journalist John McPhee's lifetime of work that has proved so inspirational.
-
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know about the earthquakes. But to me California is still the Promised Land. Thanks, Jerry and Scrojo, for the hospitality!

No comments: