Monday, July 02, 2007

a ROCKIN' Super Bee Six-Pack poster, in honor of Detroit's garage-band rockers The Von Bondies


Being the rock poster guy that I am, I was cruisin' thru one of my favorite sites, http://www.gigposters.com/ and came across this poster, by the otherwise unknown (to me, that is) designer Joe Camacho, for The Von Bondies' gig at The Casbah (a San Diego club). I went a step further and looked at the comments and found this inspired dialogue that includes artists Greg Reinel ("Stainboy" and Mike Fisher ("MaximumFluoride")--two of my most rockin' buds--and artist Mike Saputo.
-
"Stainboy: The only six pack in the world that I need.
-
MaxFlo: This is the exact car I want. It is the exact car I have wanted since I was 9 years old. One day I will have it.
-
MSaputo: This is the (new) 440 Magnum V8-powered Dodge Super Bee Six Pack. With? Three Holley two-barrels on an Edelbrock aluminum manifold. Your choice of a 4-speed manual with Hurst shifter or 3-speed automatic. A 4:10 ratio, 9 3/4" Dana axle with Sure Grip differential. G70x15 Polyglas tires on 6" wheels. A fiberglass scoop so mean-looking it'll scare you. And a hood you take off, held down by four NASCAR hood pins. 'Nuff said? Well, how 'bout this? 390 bhp @ 4700 rpm, 490 lbs-ft. of torque @3600 rpm. Now get with it. At your nearby Dodge dealers. Ask for the Super Bee Six Pack. That'll do it.
-
MaxFlo: This is the car I still want. Although I want the one with the steel hood. And no vinyl top. I'd prefer the two door post over the hardtop but I'm willing to be flexible on that."
-
Anyone who's thumbed through ROCKIN' knows the work of Stainboy--just check out his Mustang Sally full-page illustration on page 179 and his picture with his Mustang on page 155. MaxFlo, who comes out of the hard core school of rock, is an inspired artist who's brought boucoup imagination to the video games world, and is a stone-cold gearhead himself. I almost shoe-horned some of his Roth-like car-monster designs into ROCKIN' but we plumb ran out of space--to my everlasting regret.
--
FYI, The Von Bondies are a Detroit-based indie/garage rock band formed in 2000 by leader Jason Stollsteimer. Jack White of the White Stripes, along with The Dirtbombs' Jim Diamond, produced the Bondies' debut album, Lack of Communication, in late 2001. It was recorded in only three days. Pawn Shoppe Heart came out in February, 2004 on the Sire label, co-produced by Jerry Harrison of the Talking Heads.
-
The Von Bondies' single "C'Mon, C'mon" is featured in the TV series Rescue Me. You can read more about the band at www.vonbondies.com/.
-

1 comment:

teauthe said...

j2k15n5w47 n6z82z7u34 l0c86v7a72 s1e51q7c63 q5z34z9a20 v0v85b1x65