Thursday, October 26, 2006

Blast from Paul's Past


In junior high school, I was obsessed with building model kits. I had at least two dozen on display at all times. My absolute favorite was Bob Tindle's "Orange Crate" (shown here, unbuilt). It's my idea, circa 1963, of what a hot rod should look like.

Not too long after I got into this phase, the Fischer girls from across the street called to say they just hooked up with the first Beatles LP. I ran to their house, up the stairs. We put a blanket under the door to hide the sound from their parents. It was a secret mission. We were interpreting the future. Two years later, I turned on to Aretha, The Temptations, the Four Tops, Gladys Knight and the Pips' version of "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" and could recite the entire lyrics for Shorty Long's "Function at the Junction."

2 comments:

Life So Far.... said...

Hi, Paul. Serendipitously came across your blog while doing some research. I was hooked by this piece, because my high school friend, Rob, was a major model car builder, and he turned me on to the Beatles AND Bob Dylan. His room was floor to ceiling Beatles pictures from teen magazines. He's a mechanical engineer today.
Hope all is well!
Michael Malouf

Dr. Health said...

I ran to their house, up the stairs.