Monday, November 06, 2006

The Kustom King--George Barris--ROCKIN' at SEMA


George Barris is in his sixth decade--at least--promoting the custom car scene he helped create in Southern California. He's a real hero to me because he believes 100% in his creations. I was honored to present George with his copy of ROCKIN' at the SEMA show in Las Vegas last week.

George proudly pointed out to the many friends gathered 'round his table at the Heritage Art Show upstairs in South Hall, the photos I included of him and the Kustom Kings (page 78), a studio group he pulled together at the height of the surf-rod explosion. That's me in the center, and the blonde is George's showtime assistant, working in the tradition of the great Linda Vaughn, Ms. Hurst Shifter.

My all-time favorite photos of George are on page 79: George with Marvin Gaye and George with John and Yoko. When you visit Barris Kustoms in North Hollywood, you'll be struck by the hundreds and hundreds of photos spread over the entire building, along with some truly amazing 6-foot-high trophies his vehicles won at the great car shows.

1 comment:

My Blog said...

Hi
Your blog is very nice. I have really learnt a lot from this blog thanks.